A favourite family tradition at Christmas time is the Advent Calendar. We have had a variety of Advent Calendars over the years with our teen but I think this year is my favourite! For our family the Advent Calendar is about bringing the meaning of Christmas into the lives of our children and making memories as a family.
Each box or paper bag in this activity advent calendar holds a slip of paper that details a child friendly story part from the bible of the Nativity Story, a daily prayer and then a fun activity to engage in as a family. I have listed all the activities at the end of this post. The daily nativity story readings and prayers are taken from a lovely book called 30 Days With Mary and Joseph. It folds out as a scene from Bethlehem and has reusable stickers that you place each day into the scene.
What you’ll need:
- Christmas Scrapbook paper (I used Stampin’ Up Designer Series Paper (2012) Snow Festival), co-coordinating plain card and large square scraps for the activity.
- 12 Paper bags
- Fancy Favor XL Bigz die cutter and bigshot
- 2 1/4″ circle puch, assorted shape punches and a single hole punch
- Number stamp set and stamp pads in co-coordinating colours
- Washi tape
What you do:
- Using the Fancy Favor XL Bigz die cut 6 boxes from patterned scrapbook paper and 6 from plain card.
- To get a good bond I used Modge Podge on the flaps when making the boxes up.
- Punch out 24 white circles with the 2 1/4″ circle punch.
- Stamp numbers 1 to 24 on each circle.
- Punch out shapes to back the circles out of patterned scrapbook paper and plain card.
- Glue the stamped circle to a backing.
- Use Washi tape to create a tied present look on the front of the paper bags.
- Attach the stamped number shapes to the front of the boxes and washi taped paper bags.
- Punch a hole in the top middle of the box and paper bag.
- Tie with a length of ribbon and hang at varying lengths off a branch.
Activity Advent Calendar Ideas
Week 1 Theme: Christmas Trees
- Christmas tree fun.
- Create salt dough ornaments.
- Ornament hunt and decorate our tree while bopping along to Christmas tunes.
- Foam Christmas tree craft.
- Finger print Christmas trees.
- Card writing and picture drawing to send to loved ones far away.
- Christmas milkshakes.
Week 2 Theme: Reindeer’s & Angels
- Movie Night: Watch the Grinch.
- Footprint/hand print reindeer and angels
- Create stamped wrapping paper.
- Foam reindeer craft.
- Create cardboard tube angels.
- Make reindeer food.
- Sweet paper craft angels.
Week 3 Theme: Santa
- Paper bag stamping for luminaries.
- Insta snow sensory tray.
- Christmas Dance Party.
- You have been elfed! Idea comes from The Connection We Share.
- Play dough Snowmen.
- The wishing tree present drop. Movie Night: The Polar Express.
- Gingerbread friends baking.
Week 4 Theme: Snowmen
- Snowman contact paper art.
- Christmas lights drive.
- Cookie baking for Santa.